Tuesday, April 7, 2009

New Series: Typographic Expressions



This new series of paintings explores my relationship with emotions and how my self-imposed boundaries have restricted them. Each emotion is depicted as a word; the first time recognized words have appeared in my art. The letters of the words are compressed together, like how I have historically tried to control and contain any expression of emotion.

(Each painting is 24 x 24)

With charcoal, I have drawn over the compressed edges of the words, obscuring them while at the same time making them legible. These marks not only expand the words, as my acceptance of these emotions has grown, but has also left a residue. A residue of experience, that is not clean, polite or always pretty, but necessary to tear down the walls of shame that I have used to protect myself from my needs. This is a messy process but one that will release enormous internal energy and generate a freedom that I need to create.


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Nat.

    Our experience of typography can often be a sterile abstraction. While conveying meaning via form and interplay of positive and negative space, it can lack any outward mark of its creator. Your charcoal overlays shout "I am here" and convey the flesh and blood-ness of the meanings of the words.

    Life is a messy and imperfect affair. Abstraction is useful, but only as a lens to help us to understand, accept and more fully embrace the messiness of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nat, this is great. The layers are intriguing. Its almost as if the charcoal strokes are breaking free of the boundaries, but haven't completely done so (being embedded in the letters still), well, not yet.
    A suggestion- is there any way you can have bigger pictures of your work embedded in this page, so there is literally more to see. It would do wonders.

    ReplyDelete